tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Re: [TLF] Improvement Suggestions

From: Jim Smith
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Re: [TLF] Improvement Suggestions
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:15:31 -0600

I hate to stir up really old issues, but I've got some input on this:

OnFri, 4 Jul 2008 08:49:31 -0700 Chris Maness wrote:

> 2.  Separate fields specifically for populating the correct adif
> fields for the contests in question.  For example:  when it is in FD
> mode, the exchange 2A WWA should not just go in the comment field.
> 2A needs to go in the CLASS field and WWA needs to go into ARRL_SEC
> field.  This would probably require 3 seperate entry fields (CALL,
> CLASS, ARRL_SEC).  These fields should be re-definable -- so they
> could be used for other contest and other adif fields (ie grid
> square).  This fields should be defined in the "rules" file for that
> contest.

I disagree.  What is the purpose of the ADIF specification?  TLF was
written [IMO] to conform to the Cabrillo format standard for
contesting.  As such, it should treat data entry for FD just like for
any other contest.

If you've ever used tlf for November Sweepstakes, or example, you would
see the logic and the beauty of the "exchange" going into the "comment"
field. For SS, the exchange is serial number, precedence, call sign,
year licensed, and ARRL section.

I've used a couple of logging programs [one written specifically for
SS] that required you to enter the exchange in one specific order.  If
that's not how the op on the other end sent it, it was a small
nightmare to get everything copied.

In tlf, you can enter that exchange in *any* order, and the program
inputs it correctly into the log, and into Cabrillo format when that
file is written.  SS does have its own special rules file and coding
within tlf.

I would suggest that [special coding of a rules file within tlf] route
be taken if anyone wants to code for FD. After all, whether we like it
or not, FD is a contest, and the output Cabrillo file is the deliverable
produced from tlf.

If you want the log formatted in another way for other purposes, I'm
sure a quick processor with  readily available tools can be written.

Just my dwindling $0.02.

--
Jim Smith <address@hidden>