tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] fldigi & tlf

From: Martin Kratoska
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] fldigi & tlf
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:27:37 +0100

Concerning sloppy CW from the cwdaemon - it depends on kernel settings. I tested it thoroughly because I love CW at higher speeds. Latency of 1000 Hz helped a bit, I was able to run at usual contest speeds up to 36 wpm. Since kernel 2.6.23 the problem seems cured with tickless kernel. Here is an excerpt from my config:

#
# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_TICK_ONESHOT=y
CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_PC=y

Now I can go up to 60 wpm and the resulting CW is excellent, however I'm using cwdaemon 0.9.4beta1. Versions below 0.8 are actually useless, the worst CW I ever heard was produced by cwdaemon 0.5 and an unmodified kernel.

The newest cwdaemon 0.9.4 depends on the unixcw version 2.3 (or above) which won't compile on my Slackware (and I was not patient enough to track all the dependencies), therefore not tested. Let me believe that the new dependency was a bad step back... I hope that new versions of cwdaemon will continue the way set by the 0.9.4beta1 version. Anyway, with this version of cwdaemon and custom made kernel 2.6.23 (actually I'm using now the latest 2.6.23.8) I am fully satisfied. I am convinced that any development of CW related software should be thoroughly consulted with high speed freaks, it is rather bad if a developer or tester means he did well if he is limited vy 25 wpm...

My Slackware package of the best cwdaemon ever issued is on my web site www.ok1rr.com (click the big tux on the right side).

Tlf - I believe any ideas to run it with fldigi or similar program is meaningless until the principal bugs became fixed. See here:

http://www.ok1rr.com/tlf-bugs/index.html

It is rather uneasy to say that the latest tlf 0.9.30 is more than a year old (better said 1,5) and the development seems to be stopped. I would appreciate if Rein would inform us about the tlf future. There is not very strong need of new features (but, of course, it will be highly appreciated) but a bugfix version is more than needed.

My apologies for my unpleasant comments.

73,
Martin, OK1RR