tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF and ARRL Field Day

From: Scott Emery
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF and ARRL Field Day
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:14:49 -0500

In message <address@hidden>, address@hidden
writes:

>> A near real time merge seems like it could be very useful for a
>> multi-multi type station.  Done right, the programs running on the
>> various computers can sync more quickly and accurately than an
>> individual can afterward.
>
>Multi-multi is NOT field day, and that was what I was referring to.
>

>>> I am sure I am missing something, but I cannot seem to see the
>>> advantage during this particular contest/operating activity.
>>
>> Those features are driven by the top contesting teams.  They evidently
>> find value in them.
>
>Well, if they find usefulness for some of these things on field day,
>great, but the multi-multi features are significantly reduced in their
>effectiveness when one considers field day use where a "multi-multi" is
>not the order of the day (so to speak).

        Well, I operate with a group that has varied between 8 alpha
and 20 alpha.   In the larger operations people tended to get assigned
a band.  Here the dupe checking would not be quite as important, but
still useful (since we tend to have several operator "shifts"). More
recently, we have been wandering up and down the bands and dupe checking
has been very useful.

        I don't know exactly what is implied by "Multi-Multi".  We don't
usually switch *modes* in a tent.  I would appreciate, in the heat of
the contest,  knowing what bands CW and DIG are working and especially
which ones are particularly hot.  Unfortunately I don't know of a logging
program which works well for all modes.

Scott Emery
address@hidden