tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLD and ARRL Field Day

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLD and ARRL Field Day
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:50:49 -0500

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [2007 Jun 30 09:51 -0500]:
> Hey gang;
>
> Other than the ops "keyboarding" each other, since there can only be one
> transmitter per band/mode on Field Day, is there an advantage to
> networking such stuff together for a contest such as Field Day.

Unless each station is dedicated to a band or mode or both, then the
dupe checking becomes very handy.  One year I was involved with a 2A
station and the club didn't have enough CW ops to keep one station
going.  So I networked a pair of computers with CT and all we had to
make sure of was to not be working SSB on the same band.  It gave each
station the freedom to pick a band and for both stations to work phone
for about half the FD period.  Since then I've been involved in 1A
efforts.

As it turned out, the logs still got slightly out of sync on the
primitive CT network and some work was involved afterward merging them.

> I suppose that log backup over the network would be useful, but can't that
> be done easily enough outside of the logging software anyways ?

A near real time merge seems like it could be very useful for a
multi-multi type station.  Done right, the programs running on the
various computers can sync more quickly and accurately than an
individual can afterward.

> I am sure I am missing something, but I cannot seem to see the advantage
> during this particular contest/operating activity.

Those features are driven by the top contesting teams.  They evidently
find value in them.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of