tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] If using FreeBSD and X11, run 'aterm' as your terminal.

From: Jim Smith
Subject: [Tlf-devel] If using FreeBSD and X11, run 'aterm' as your terminal.
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:41:38 -0600

Ever the FreeBSD advocate of the group, I would like to share something
I discovered this weekend.

If you're using tlf on FreeBSD, 'aterm' is your friend.

I've tried running tlf on my laptop console [setting TERM as 'linux'
and various other types] and it is really a mess.  So, I run tlf
while running X11.  The standard xterm doesn't have the keyboard
functionality that makes tlf useful.

'aterm' <http://aterm.sourceforge.net/> gets 80-90% of the complete
functionality of a standard terminal.  The F1 key doesn't work [and in
my window manager WindowMaker, the F11 and F12 keys are already spoken
for], the alt-# keys are also controlled by my window manager, but
everything else seems to work pretty well.

So, if you can do without 24 different pre programmed messages [or
tweak your UI so that you can] 'aterm' in X11 with FreeBSD is a
winner.  I'll figure out what window manager works best [i.e. doesn't
map the other function keys or the alt-# keys] before two weeks.

--
73, Jim N0OCT