tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF

From: Steve Huston
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 00:15:35 -0400

On Monday, Jul 5, 2004, at 02:23 US/Eastern, Steve Huston wrote:
I see a couple messages were just posted about adding VHF to this very fine program to aid in US Field Day operations. I'd like to second that idea, and if I have time to go through the source I might submit a patch against 0.9.19 for it (looked through, and it doesn't seem too difficult to change, but I didn't look too hard either :> )

Well, I've looked through, and hacked a bit. So far, I have added partial capabilities for 6m, 2m, 440, 1200 and 2400. One can change bands and log contacts there, but they're not yet properly displayed on the scoreboard right now (dupe checking seems to work fine). As you scroll through the bands, 6m and 2m are displayed as such, and since there's already room for three characters the others are shown as .70, .23 and .13.

A few things I want to get right before submitting a patch:

1) Proper scoreboard updates - I'm thinking how it works with the WARC bands, when you hit 6m it would rotate out the HF bands and rotate in the bands 50MHz and up.

2) A flag for the rules that turns on/off HF and VHF, so you can have it do HF only, VHF only, or both. Would default HF to on and VHF to off, unless in qso mode when all would be on.

A couple questions I'd like to know from the users:

1) Should I look to add a 'FM' mode? I'm completely new to contesting, I would imagine that for contacts there isn't much distinction between SSB and FM, but if there's a call for it I'll see what I can do.

2) Since the scoreboard currently holds 6 bands, and I have 5 bands added, which would be a good 6th to put in the mix? 220? 900? Both, and take 2.4GHz or 1.2GHz out? Add both and figure something else out for displaying them?

I hope to have a working patch by the end of the week, and when I've got something that "works for me" and compiles I'll send it in for scrutiny. I also noticed in the comments that "NBANDS" was defined, but the comment said that the number 9 was still hardcoded in many places; in adding other bands, I think I found them all :>

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285