tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] will TLF run on Mandrake or Debian Linux types?

From: w9ya
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] will TLF run on Mandrake or Debian Linux types?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:22:24 -0500 (EST)

Debian is a good basic distro and it has good basic ham package support.
There are a few other distros that offer this too, including the one I
maintain the ham packages for. But I also feel that all of these
sometimes have a very steep learning curve for those coming from the
Microsoft world, especially the installation.

If you feel unsure about these install issues and want to learn Linux, I
would suggest you try the pclinuxos live-cd and see if that appeals to
you. It can be installed to the hard drive as easily as the Knoppix one.
It offers a good first time user experience that many of my clients feel
is better than Knoppix. In fact the response has been much more positive
than with Knoppix. I think you might find it a good learning "distro" as
well. Go ahead and try to break things, dive in, get creative. After
that experience you might find Debian less scary and easier to install
and use.

Vy 72;

Bob
w9ya