tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] New tlf-0.9.15 adds hamlib scanner and RTTY support

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: [Tlf-devel] New tlf-0.9.15 adds hamlib scanner and RTTY support
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:12:43 +0100

I have uploaded tlf-0.9.15 to the various download sites.
This version is again more stable (tnx PA3FWM for the patches), and will
be especially interesting for those who own a MFJ 1278B multi-mode
controller, as it will enable you to start RTTY contesting with tlf using
the same user interface you are  using on CW or Phone. Next I will also
play with an PK232 controller... should not be too difficult now.
The RTTY function is self-supporting, viz. it will run in a TEXT console. Tlf
has it's own rx terminal.

OK1RR came with the idea of an SWR plotter based on a hamlib controlled
rx and a simple noise bridge... In this version the S-Meter is based on audio
into the sound card. In a next version I will also support s-meter output from
hamlib (the K2 RS232 isn't ready yet for testing...).
And as I had a scanner anyway, I couldn't resist programming a simple band
scanner which will look for 10 meter openings for me...

>From the README:

- Added support for MFJ1278B multi-mode controller.
        You can now use your MFJ1278B as a CW  output
        device with the same controls as for the software keyers
        (ctrl-k for keyboard mode, escape to leave keyboard mode, pgup
        for speed-up and pg-down for speed-down).

        The RTTY mode enables the RTTY contests with the same user
        interface as with the CW contests, also AMTOR is supported.

        New parameter for logcfg.dat: MFJ1278_KEYER=,
        e.g. MFJ1278_KEYER=/dev/ttyS0
        New characters for RTTY keyboard mode:
        '{' Start TX
        '}' Stop TX
        '\' Enter Command Mode
        'K' <ENTER> Leave command mode.
        ',' (comma) or Ctrl-k to go into keyboard mode (like in CW...)
        ESCAPE to leave keyboard mode.
        The '{' and '}' characters can also be embedded in the Contest messages
        e.g. F1={RYRY TEST DE % % PSE K} will transmit the message and switch
back to
RX.

        New command ':MINiterm' to toggle a 5 x 40 char terminal window on/off.
        This will only work in DIG mode.

- Added experimental :SCAnner function (an idea of OK1RR)
        The SCAnner funtion combines the Frequency Control function of
Hamlib-1.2.0
        with a rudimentary Audio S-Meter/plotter via the sound card. Just
connect the
        rx output to the soundcard input and you are o.k.
        Two scanner functions are supported by version 0.9.15:

        Band Scan Function - can be used as a 'third ear' to scan a band for
activity
with a separate receiver + computer.
        You give a Start frequency and a step frequency, and the "S-Meter"
values are
        plotted.

        SWR scan function - with a simple noise bridge and a computer
controlled rx
        as a frequency-stepped detector you can plot antenna swr or filter
transfer
        characteristic.

        New parameters for logcfg.dat:
        SC_DEVICE= Sound card device, e.g. SC_DEVICE=/dev/dsp0
        S_METER=  Calibration curve for the Audio S-Meter. As the audio volume
depends         on the transfer characteristic of your rx (incl. AGC) you have
calibrate the S-Meter. With this parameter you can create a curve with 20
points e.g.:
                S_METER=20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
                would create a linear curve with a max. value of 20. (Of course
you will
need something logarithmic).
                Maximum value = 255 (8 bits).
                ESCAPE to go back to the previous level.

On the todo list: lots of new multiplier types, post contest analysis
functions etc... but I could not resist this one.

Bug reports as usual....

73,

Rein PA0R

P.S. I bought the 1278 for $50, and it works like new. The rtty decoding of
gMFSK is superior though. But I can always run gMFSK in the background for
RX.... Tail -f gMFSK.log in a new rx window  does the trick if you are
running X.

--
address@hidden or address@hidden
http://www.couperus.com