tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] upload tlf-morphix-0.6.live.iso

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: [Tlf-devel] upload tlf-morphix-0.6.live.iso
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:37:11 +0100

Hello all,

I am happy to announce that the first tlf-morphix CD image is ready for beta
testing. You can download at:
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pub/linux/ham/tlf/tlf-morphix-0.6.live.iso
(395 MB) for the CD image, and
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pub/linux/ham/tlf/tlf-morphix.tar.gz for the
files on the USB drive (1.2 MB).

You just burn the .iso onto a CDROM (cdrecord -dev=0,0,0
tlf-morphix-0.6.live.iso.iso), and untar the other archive (tar file) onto
the root (top) dir ('/')of your USB memory stick (tar zxvf ...).

It will do the following (well, it does it on my laptop, YMMV...):
======================================
It boots Morphix+KDE from the CD, which is Debian Sid + KDE 3.1.
Installs Hamlib-1.1.4.
Installs the WiFi minimodule
Installs xplanet
Mounts the USB drive at /mnt/usbstick (only /dev/sda1 at the moment).
Copies the tlf stuff from the USB drive to the live file system.
Initializes and starts cwdaemon-0.8.
Installs wu-ftp (for log sync across the network). All this is automatic, the
only snag is that wu-ftp is still rather noisy about  being installed...
Answer [y] you want to have anonymous access, and ENTER ENTER to take care of
the rest... there is no password for user ftp.

After KDE is up (abt. 2 minutes after boot time) you will find a user 'morph'
which has a directory 'tlf-morphix'.  This is your working directory with the
tlf stuff. Grab a terminal (new linux terminal) and cd into the working
directory. Start tlf in the normal way. There is also a script to start
xplanet...

You will probably have to set the right ip address (I seem to have a dhcp
server in the network...). Get another terminal,  start a  root shell (sudo
bash) and configure ip: ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.153 up.

Morphix even recognizes my WiFi card (802.11b). You can configure it via the
'Morphix configuration -> wireless LAN' dialogue (I have to set only the
ESSID to the one in my network). It surprises you with a working eth1
device!!

The logfile is on the USB drive in the directory 'tlf-morphix' (/mnt/usbstick/
tlf-morphix/).

Software maintenance:
=================

As you may have noticed, both tlf and cwdaemon are being changed at a rapid
pace.... Fortunately you will not need a fresh CDROM image for every new
version of tlf (that would crash the internet backbone :-). Copy the new tlf
binary and the new binary of cwdaemon (if necessary) to the USB drive and
you're done... the same goes for updates of callmaster and cty.dat files.
You should also save any changes to the logcfg.dat and rules files to the USB
drive, as the data will be lost after you reboot....

Happy testing, and let me know what you think!!

73 and ****MERRY CHRISTMAS****

Rein PA0R

Oh, and if you want to remote control via the internet, just start the
sshd....

--
address@hidden or address@hidden
http://www.couperus.com