tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf and serial terminals. . .

From: Jim Smith
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] tlf and serial terminals. . .
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:16:13 -0600

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:33:16 +0100
Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:50:48PM -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:33:16PM -0600, Jim Smith wrote:
> > > lines setup, I can log into my big machine, etc., but the display
> > > for tlf lacks quite a bit.
>         ^^^^^
>    What do you mean?

I should have been clearer.  It isn't tlf that is lacking, but what is
displayed on my old laptop [it's monochrome VGA, by the way].  The space
where the new callsign input is doesn't align properly, and the exchange
area doesn't either.  If one can figure out what they are doing [with
letters and numbers going everywhere], they do get entered correctly.

> > > Am I just running into the limitations of using a serial terminal
> > > [in other words, 'it won't work']?
> >
> > Although I haven't tried it, I've seen some messages in the past
> > indicating that using a serial terminal with ncurses can be tricky.
> > You need to assign the correct terminal definition to the serial
> > connection.  If you have a way of emulating a VT100 or similar on
> > the laptop, that might help.  Kermit might work also.
>
> better than kermit is minicom.
> Make sure the TERM environement variable matches the setup of terminal
> type of minicom(or kermit/seyon/..). Also, choose some serial speed
> higher than 9600. hi.

Yes, the laptop and big computer are matched up in terms of TERM
variable [vt102 in this case].  I'm running 38400 IIRC.  I'll check out
some other comm programs, to see if that solves the problem.  Thanks!

--

73, Jim n0oct