tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: tlf todo

From: rein couperus PA0R
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: tlf todo
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:18:40 +0200

On Monday 06 October 2003 06:34, Wilbert Knol wrote:
> Another (hopefully simple) thing: TLF does not like having the rig
> interface via USB.
>
> Would it be possible to allow things like /dev/ttyUSB0 for the rig
> interface? TLF can't find the rig, when I do this (even when I use a
> symlink to map it to, say, /dev/ttyS5).  know it is not a hamlib
> problem.

Sure... I will give it a try.  I will make a test version for you to test it.

> My old notebook PC still has one (1) a serial port, but modern laptops
> don't, so it would be useful to be able to run the rig over a 4-port
> serial USB hub. CWDAEMON and kernel-AX25 already work OK via serial
> USB.

O.k. I agree that it is necessary.

> With regards to a GUI front-end: using a 14" laptop LCD screen (as
> lots of contesters, DXpeditioners etc do), I would rather be looking
> at an ncurses screen, instead of squinting at a GUI on a paper-white
> background.

Don't worry, I will leave the GUI's to others.
I am planning (longterm) to write an CT User Interface for tlf, as there are a
lot of requests for it. But I will do it in ncurses, as it is now, and give
the mouse time off during the contest.
The reason for the CT interface is simple: the ratio of CT users to TRlog
users is 9:1. E.g. I have to work with CT every time I join a DXpedition,
because the vast majority of ops don't know how to handle TRlog.
November last year I worked at CT9L, none of the ops even knew TR.
This year it will be TS7N (Kerkennah). Of the 20 ops joining the expedition,
only 1 is using the TR interface (me, with tlf).
I am sure a lot more people would change over to linux/tlf for contesting if
it had a CT interface. But I am selfish, and want to finish tlf before
starting that.

The reason for making it work in an rxvt terminal is the possibility to
combine it with other displays like a propagation map, Xplanet display of
spots etc. which I use on the home desktop when I am DX'ing (I use a 17"
monitor).

> The other thing I have against GUIs for contest logging software:
> mouse action which slows you down (keyboard-mouse-keyboard hand
> movements), and I have yet to see a GUI that is snappier and faster
> than a plain text application.

Another reason for the ncurses interface of tlf is the requirement to run it
remotely over a reasonably slow modem link.

> Responsive software is important for contesting. A lot of our contest
> QSOs are long path, and any unresponsiveness adds to the round-trip
> propagation delay...you end up doubling with the more ignorant and
> trigger-happy callers.
>
> Anyway...I just feel that GUIs are over-rated...they are a marketing
> gimmick for commercial software. Call me old-fashioned :-)

You are old-fashioned. (So am I).

73,  Rein PA0R