tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: keyboard problem

From: rein couperus PA0RCT
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: keyboard problem
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 09:16:23 +0200

Hello Fede,

I have done some experimenting with various X terminals. The only only I found
to work (and the one I use all the time) is Konsole from KDE. In konsole you
can set various schemes (system colours, linux colours VIM colours etc..) and
also the keyboard layout (use linux keyboard).

The problem with all other terminals I tried (I tried some 10 different ones)
is that they are all based on Xterm, so they all have the same problems:
* The function keys work differently from linux console (F1 does not work at
all and the others output different codes)
* The way ncurses A_BOLD is treated is different. Xterm increases the font,
and highlights the background colour, where linux console highlights the
foreground colour and leaves the background colour alone. Tlf uses this a lot
to enhance readability.
* xterm does not allow init_colors() on a pc, so I have to use the colours as
they come.

I have found a way around the second problem. Xterm has an option where you
can switch off the highlighting. If you start the terminal with xterm +pc &,
the display gets a lot better (but still ugly if you ask me).

The keyboard problem is a different matter... I will tackle that at a later
stage.

My conclusion is, that if you can use KDE konsole you've got the best solution
(see the pictures in tlfdoc.html).

73,

Rein PA0RCT

Email: address@hidden or address@hidden