tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Re: Navy contest.

From: rein couperus PA0RCT
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Re: Navy contest.
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:11:19 +0200

Hello David,

I have been analysing the rules for the Portugese Navy contest.

I can see no way to get tlf ready for this in the time given, as a set of
totally new multipliers have to be written.
This means the scoring will not work. The points would be o.k.(with a trick),
but not the mults. I also think 8 different points and 8 different multiplier
values are a bit much for 1 contest...
Tlf could help you with the following:
- flag the key stations in the log so you can find them afterwards
- show the time you last worked the station (you can work each station again
after 1 hour...)

For the last one I wrote a new parameter (SHOW_TIME) which, when set will
replace the qso number in the search window with the time. That way you can
see if you are able to work the stn again. This will be in version 0.8.21

For the first one, flagging the key stations in  the log,  what I would do is
the following trick:
Before the contest log all key stations on 160 meters (you can not work 160
meters in this contest anyway) with an exchange like "KEY".
With the editor you can change the last log line to 0000, and after a restart
tlf will start with 0001. The calls are now in the database. After the
contest you remove these lines with the editor...

If you now work a key station you can see it in the search window, and if you
set RECALL_EXCHANGE, "KEY" will  appear in the log, which makes it easier to
do the scoring by hand. (Of course you could also write a PERL script to
calculate the score form the tlf log.....)

That is all I can do now. I am busy with a major rewrite of tlf, which will
make it  (hopefully) a lot easier to program new features. But this will take
most of 2003....

But I understand you were interested in running the king of spain contest
anyway, as it is on the same weekend ? In any case tlf is ready for that
one...

73, Rein PA0RCT

P.S.: this is the most crazy set of rules I have ever come across. I think
they were made so no computer program could do it. (Or do you know a program
that can?) I will keep this as a future goal for tlf...

Email: address@hidden or address@hidden