tiger-devel

[Tiger-devel] Proposal for another HP-UX specific check

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Subject: [Tiger-devel] Proposal for another HP-UX specific check
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:53:21 +0200

[This goes more to Ryan (who is implementing HP-UX specific checks) but I send it to the list in case others are interested]

I would be interested in bundling within Tiger a patch-checking mechanism which is, usually, OS dependant. Now, I know that HP for HP-UX (as does Sun for Solaris) provides a "Security Patch" check which is a tool you can download [1] and uses a catalog [2] to determine which security patches you might need for your system. However, it is written in Perl and I would Tiger to keep as POSIX-compliant as possible

That said, I would very much if someone could code this script and provide it with a GPL license [3]

More information at
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/internet/spc_faq.html
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/internet/spc_readme.html

Best regards

Javi

PS: I've added this to the task manager of Tiger at http://savannah.nongnu.org/pm/?group=tiger under "Improve support for Operating systems"

[1] http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B6834AA

[2] ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/export/patches/security_catalog

[3] Even if the security patch tool distributed by HP-UX is "free" it is not really so (not from my point of view really) since you still have to accept's HP's licensing terms: http://www.software.hp.com/disclaimer.html