thotbook-dev

[Thotbook-dev] Re: DocBook Tools' Complexity

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: [Thotbook-dev] Re: DocBook Tools' Complexity
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:43:45 +0100

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:21:49AM +0000, David Bovill wrote:
> Hi, I had a quick look...
>
> > From: Yann Dirson <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Re: DocBook Tools' Complexity (Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DocBook with
> > AbiWord?)
> >
> > FWIW, that's what we're trying to create with ThotBook.  We're in the
> > very early stages, however, and more volunteers are welcome :)
> >
> > http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/thotbook/
>
> If I am right it will be a while before this is cross-platform - right?

The old thotlib was UNIX only, the new one works on windows.

> What language is it coded in?

C, and a couple of specific languages for schemas and stylesheets.

> The only thing that I could see helping with is testing/RAD of the
> GUI - so if you have any screen shots - upload them/mail them.

Already there:

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/thotbook/screenshots.html

As you see, the app that should work with the new (cross-platform) lib
is far from working, and benj has been preempted for other tasks, so
it has not been worked on since a good couple of weeks.

The other work, with preliminary schema and stylesheet, make use of
the old UNIX-only ThotEditor.

> I could keep to the same GUI, and feedback what seems to work etc and
> eventually my app could be thrown away?
>
> Just a thought... might not work out - what do you think?

Well, have a look at it, one at the ThotLib docs, and see then :)

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <address@hidden>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer                                Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre