texmacs-dev

[Texmacs-dev] Computer Modern fonts

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Computer Modern fonts
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 10:52:18 +0000

Hi,

 it is only me or the loading of documents it is very slow due to Computer Modern fonts loading? There are many fonts metrics loaded and searched separately (of the form ec… ). Modern TeX  installations like ConTeX have moved away from the original packaging of Computer Modern and use Latin Modern, which is packaged in OTF format, so essentially only few fonts should be located and loaded. It will also remove a lot of font files from our installations.

ConTeX support officially only 21 open source fonts: Latin Modern, TeX Gyre fonts, DejaVu, Gentium, Antykwa Poltawskiego, Antykwa Toruńska, Kurier, Iwona and three additional math fonts: Euler, STIX2, XITS.

Could we do the same? In the interest of the user? There could be a flag to determine if we use the old font system including CM or the new one.

My interest come from the fact that I’m coding a viewer for TeXmacs files :

and it is quite slow to render a document taking around 10-20 seconds. Which I think is not acceptable for a viewer. Also one would like the viewer to be lightweight (but this maybe can be obtained by downloading the fonts on request and caching them in the browser for subsequent calls, if possible). And I guess for a viewer is OK not to render the document exactly as in the app.

For information: Vau does not depends on Qt nor guile. The rendering is done via MuPDF and the scheme is S7.

Best
Max