texmacs-dev

[Texmacs-dev] Xmacs (Another TeXmacs distribution) v2020.1 released

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Xmacs (Another TeXmacs distribution) v2020.1 released
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:16:32 +0800

Dear all:

Xmacs v2020.1 is released! Currently, only the source code of Xmacs is available:

https://github.com/XmacsEditor/Xmacs

Xmacs will be released every 3 months, the upcoming releases are v2020.2, v2020.3, v2020.4 .

Xmacs is a fork of GNU TeXmacs.

## Features
1. Xmacs v2020.1 is based on GNU TeXmacs v1.99.12 with full compatibility
2. Performance: Xmacs is slighterly faster than GNU TeXmacs
3. GUI: Support zooming in or out using the mouse wheel
4. Typeset: Decrease the blanks of Chinese punctuations (pending pr)
5. Typeset: Always use Captions Above for Table in Chinese documents
6. Plugins: Octave 5 support for Windows
7. Plugins: Fix Maxima documentation opening on the tool bar

5, 6, 7 will be available for the next release of GNU TeXmacs.

## Disclaimer
Xmacs aims to be a distribution of GNU TeXmacs but not another TeXmacs.
I do not encourage people to create pull requests to Xmacs. We should
contribute to TeXmacs.

I sell the Xmacs binaries but for now they are only sold in China. Binaries
are only a by-product of my services. I provide peer-to-peer help for my
customers like helping them make some TeXmacs plugins work via Team
Viewer and distributing digital magazines(training material) for them in Chinese.

The Xmacs v2020.1 binaries will be released when the next release of Xmacs
(v2020.2) is available.

For now, all the money I earned will be donated to the TeXmacs community
in China. I have planned to hold a TeXmacs Summer of Code event to
encourage students to contribute to GNU TeXmacs.

For details on the TeXmacs Summer of Code, we will discuss it in the TeXmacs
Developers' mail list.