texmacs-dev

Re: [Texmacs-dev] GNU Guile 3.0.0 released and some suggestions for futu

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] GNU Guile 3.0.0 released and some suggestions for future GNU TeXmacs
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 09:49:28 +0100

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 11:45:08AM +0100, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
> It would be good to have an automatic test-suite to evaluate seriously the
> performance issues involved in this choice, also in the perspective to
> understand what would be the margin of advantage to adapt the codebase to
> Guile 3.
>
> Do you have some ideas of which areas involve Guile performances seriously?

Since we use Guile as an extension language,
we tend to switch to C++ whenever performance is an issue.
In the past, I rewrote some document search routines in C++ for this reason.

The only serious problem that I had with Guile was the time to boot all files.
This prompted me to write all the lazy initialization stuff...
and that is precisely what is getting into our way if we now
want to move to Guile 2/3...

Best wishes, --Joris