sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] sysvinit causing many reads?

From: Ortwin Glück
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] sysvinit causing many reads?
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:47:02 +0200

> Let's try to answer two key sets of questions:
>
> 1. Any idea what program is causing all the child signals coming to
> init? And why they aren't being collected by the parent?

The system runs Oracle. Oracle's processes all have ppid 1. That's why init will see any dying oracle process as its child.

I understand that this means all I/O is accounted to PID 1 when the child exits. You can reproduce like this:

cat /proc/1/io
setsid timeout 5s cat /dev/zero >/dev/null
sleep 5
cat /proc/1/io

That means it's not init causing any I/O at all. It's merely an accounting artifact by the kernel. When a particularly busy Oracle connection dies (and takes its process down) then init sees a spike in I/O accounting.

The interrupted select is not an issue at all.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ortwin