sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] shutdown: do not require -h when using -H/-P

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] shutdown: do not require -h when using -H/-P
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 05:12:03 -0500

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:06:53 Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Mike Frysinger]
> > Other inits have moved to not requiring the -h flag when used with
> > -H/-P.  modify sysvinit to be the same since it really doesn't
> > matter.
>
> Which inits are this?  Why do they change the traditional behaviour of
> shutdown?  Which shutdown implementations retain the behaviour that
> shutdown have had the last 20 years or so?  Can you provide a table
> showing the behaviour of different shutdown implementations?

it is my understanding that upstart and systemd do not do this.  at this point
in time, i don't think any other init really matters to the Linux world.

it was noticed because the qemu logic doesn't pass -h when invoking shutdown
which causes the system to get wedged.

to be honest, i don't see why this behavior really needs to be retained.  20
years of tradition doesn't mean it makes sense ;).  the sysvinit man page
doesn't even make it clear that the -h is required.
-mike