synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] proposed feature History > [Undo]

From: Liquider
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] proposed feature History > [Undo]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:01:42 +0200

Hello :)

I really like Synaptic and prefer to use it, when I know what I am looking for, but don't know the name of it :)

But there is a slight annoyance when, for example, I need to compile something from source. I use synaptic to install all the dependency libs, compile the program, it works and all is fine. However, at that point I (usually) don't need those developement libraries anymore and I go removing them. Checking the history, selecting for (complete) removal one by one.... ...sometimes it is quite nasty to see what all dependencies needed to be met to try if some program suits my needs, only to find it doesn't.

What would be a nice feature, is an Undo button in the history that would allow removal of all the packages marked by a selected history item. Before removal it would need to check if that breaks any now-in-future-time-existing dependancies, and if not they would be removed, if installed. This, I believe, would be easy to implement as everything is probably there already, and it would work for all history entries, no matter how far back in time.
...Now I see, I haven't really described an undo operation here :) The functionallity would then also need to install removed packages...; or it could come in two flavours: [undo] and [remove installed]...

Please do consider this useful idea. It has also been proposed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/122064
I know there are tools like debfoster, but such a button in Synaptic would be really handy ;)

If this is/was already debated, please excuse my unawareness, consider this as a nudge and positive feedback.
If not, do the same :)