synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] [bug #16315] Feature Request: Local Repository - Offlin

From: anonymous
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bug #16315] Feature Request: Local Repository - Offline Install
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:23:38 -0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open

Details:

The "create download script" feature is great. I would suggest to add the
flag "-c" to enable it to finish an incomplete download as well. This enables
"offline installation" somewhat.

Scenario:
Having a low band width on my linux box I use manual offline installs with
Synaptic. Having updated "packages" files I can easily select what I want to
install, and then use the menu option "create download script" which
generates a complete script calling "wget" to access all the files required.
(I actually download the files on a windwos box at work.)
I then use "dpkg-scanpackages" and "apt-get update" in a script to refresh my
"local" repository and can then install those apps using Synaptic.

Request:
1. Ability to assign a directory as a local repository.
2. Include these scripts in Synaptic to create and update the "packages"
files of this repository.
3. Save and retrieve the selected packages state. (I think this is already
available)
4. Add -c option to wget script
5. Automate all steps 2.3.4. by using a "wait" and "continue" switch. ("wait"
would generate a download script, save the selected packages list,
..."continue" would create the packages list in the local repository using
"dpkg-scanpackages", update apt-get using "apt-get update", load the
previously saved selected packages list and then wait for install
instruction) - I'm sure there may be more appropriate words than wait and
continue.

Synaptic will not need to include an "Offline" option as synaptic will not go
online download packages that are available in local or CD contents.
("aptget-update" will skip the ftp packages lists  if there is no connection)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=16315>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/