synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Port to FreeBSD

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Port to FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:43:16 +0100

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:11:44PM +0000, Adam Retter wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I would like to port synaptic to FreeBSD.
> FreeBSD uses the FreeBSD ports/package system instead of apt-get.

A interessting project :)

> Im guesing most of the GTK stuff will port straight over but that I will
> have to replace all the Debian apt-get specific code with FreeBSD
> ports/packages code.

Synaptic is pretty tightly coupled to libapt. It is certainly a
challange to abstract that parts away. It would be nice though.

The classes RPackage, RPackageLister and RPackageCache in common/
would need to be touched here (reimplemented for FreeBSD/ports). We
probably need to look over the interfaces and clean them up.

> Can any developers give me some pointers towards which files I need to
> look at and what development environment Synaptic was written in. I have
> Anjuta and Glade2 installed at the moment.

Synaptic's GUI is build with glade-2 and I personally use emacs. But
Anjuta should be fine. Get the latest code with subversion from:
$ svn https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/synaptic/trunk
and just start hacking away :)

> I have tried compiling the 0.55 source code on FreeBSD 5 Stable. Apart
> from the apt-get specific includes I seem to be missing some files -
> rconfiguration.h, raptoptions.h and rpackagelister.h. Where can I get
> these files from?

They should be all in the "common/" subdirectory.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions!

Cheers,
 Michael