synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:18:13 +0200

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:31:27PM +0100, Chris Miles wrote:
> The suggestions in http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q26 did not
> work for me, skype_qt3_1 is still marked as "broken" in synaptic and
> will be removed if I "apply" any changes :-(

Ups, I'm very sorry. I send you the wrong URL. Here is the correct
item from the apt4rpm FAQ:

-------------------------------8<----------------------------------
Is it possible to force apt-get to ignore dependency checks for
certain packages?
There's a hack which allows that. But before telling you the trick,
let me include a disclaimer:

    * This is an untested feature, and may cause undesirable results
depending on your system, and what you try to install with apt;
    * This feature is not documented, and may be removed at anytime
without notice
    * Before reporting any weird behaviors in apt-rpm, remove this
option and test again.

Ok.. if you have a strong heart, and are still reading, the trick is
an option in apt.conf:

RPM
{
   Fake-Provides { "foo"; "bar 1.2"; };
}

This will "provide" the dependencies "foo" and "bar" version 1.2.
You've been warned! :-)

I hope this item now helps!
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ