synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:42:23 +0200

Hi Jon,

thanks for your feedback!

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:17:17PM -0500, Jon Roland wrote:
> I use Synaptic as a package browser but still use apt-get in xterm to do the
> upgrades and installs because I like to save the output from the operations
> to a
> file, so I have a history of installs and upgrades, and can get the error
> messages that can affect which packages I install or upgrade, and how (with
> an
> -f option, for example). The Synaptic front-end hides or fails to preserve
> this
> important information. The problem could be solved by adding a function
> under
> Preferences to set the name of a log file into which all the output would be
> appended, then give the user the option of showing the additions to the log
> file
> in a window that does the equivalent of tail -f.

Adding logging functionality is pretty high on the todo list. We want
something like the log viewer of gaim.

> You should also have links on the Synaptic home page to, preferably, a
> bugzilla
> page for Synaptic, or to the Login/Subscribe page for the email list. And
> the
> page for the email list should explain how to address email to the list.

Thanks, I'll forward this to our wwww guru :)

> Thanks for a useful tool, but one that can be improved.

Yeah! I very much appreciate feedback like this! Thanks.

bye,
 Michael
--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ