synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] How to remove package *without* it trying to upgrade de

From: Andy Elvey
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] How to remove package *without* it trying to upgrade dependent packages
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:29:07 -0400

Hi all -

  I've been using Synaptic for a while, and it's a *great* package! "Well
done" to the developers :-)
  I do, however, have a problem.  ( I'm running Mepis Linux, kernel 2.6.4,
Synaptic version 0.50 ) .

 My problem is that I have gcc 3.4.1 installed, and I want to remove the other
(old) versions of gcc that are on the system ( I don't know why the old
versions are there - they came with the distro.  Anyway ... )
  When I marh gcc 3.3 for removal, and then click on "apply",  Synaptic says
that it will remove gcc 3.3, *but* it *also* says that it will *upgrade* a
number of packages at the same time!  Arrrrrgh ... :-))

 All I want to do is *remove* gcc 3.3, ( and if necessary, *all* packages that
depend on it - there are only six or so ).  I do *not* want Synaptic to try
to upgrade packages that depend on the package I'm removing!  ( That
behaviour strikes me as bizarre .... :-)

 So, is there any way of *forcing* Synaptic to remove gcc 3.3 and all of its
dependencies, so that it will not try to do any upgrades of the dependent
packages?

 Very many thanks in advance - bye for now

 - Andy