synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Updated Danish translation

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Updated Danish translation
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:33:30 +0200

Am Montag, den 02.08.2004, 00:16 +0200 schrieb Morten Brix Pedersen:
> Hi,
>
> An updated Danish translation for synaptic can be found here:
>
>     http://wtf.dk/~mbp/i18n/synaptic/da.po

Thanks. I fixed the typos and commited an updated version of your
translation.

> Also, I have a few comments on some strings:
>
> First, some clear typos:
>     msgid "Port numer of the ftp proxy server"
>
>     should be 'number'
>
>     msgid "<b>Appereance</b>"
>
>     should be 'Appearence'

Sorry, I am already on vacations in my mind :)

> Then I have problems with the following string:
>
>     msgid "Upgradable (upstream)"
>
> It is extremely hard to translate. I asked the Danish translation
> team for help, and was told (by the GNOME-translation leader) that
> I should report a bug to you. The work 'upstream' is too much slang
> and almost impossible to translate in a clear way in other languages
> than English. Instead he suggests something like two different
> strings:
>
>     "Upgradeable (fixed version)" (for normal package upgrades)
>
>     and:
>
>     "Upgradeable (new version)" (for newer upstream)
>
> I hope other translators can agree with me that the 'upstream' part
> is hard to translate and needs work.

You are right, that this should be fixed. At first I don't want to
introduce the difference between new upstream and new distru version
into the default status view - so it would be nice to handle this on the
custom filter level.

A later upstream version might also be an important security fix. So I
think that we cannot judge on the content of the package relying only on
the version schema.

Regards and thanks for your efforts,

Sebastian