synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:57:53 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Am Fr, den 18.06.2004 um 11:20 Uhr +0300 schrieb Panu Matilainen:
>
> > > Another issue with SuSE and RH (and other distros?) are the under-
> > > sections separated by "/" in the section string. Would it be possible to
> > > use a treeview in the category browser?
> >
> > Hmm, that might be useful for some purposes as well but at least on RHL/FC
> > the package groups aren't useful at all for task-style operation.
>
> The x times duplication of "Applications/" is just a mess and the lines
> with the whole section string get quite long - too long for not needing
> to scroll.

Yeah, just from browsing point of view using tree to present the sections
would make it much nicer looking, no argument there. My point was that
using those on RHL/FC for "task" functionality is a total disaster
however.

> > > OT: I have problems to build apt-rpm on a SuSE x64 9.1 system. Are there
> > > already any packages, Richard? I couldn't find any.
> >
> > Note that apt-rpm on multilib systems like x86_64 isn't all that smooth
> > sailing. Or actually .. no problems as long as there aren't overlapping
> > i386 and x86_64 packages but once you do (at least on RHEL and FC this is
> > the case for a typical installion) things break rather spectacularly :-/
>
> I cannot call an AMD64 my own and it was some time ago, so I have to
> recall from memory: I think that apt wanted to link against the 32bit
> bzip2 library, although I said configure to use the lib64 extension.

Right .. bzip2 only exists as 64bit version on RHEL3 which is basically
the only x86_64 distro I have experience with so that wasn't an issue. In
fact apt *builds* just fine on RHEL3, it's the actual functionality which
is problematic because apt doesn't know how to deal with packages with
same version but different architecture installed simultaneously.

        - Panu -