synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] "Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packa

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] "Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:39:31 +0200

Hi,

I have just noticed for the umpteenth time that there is something weird with the "Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages"-message and finally decided to whine about it. :-)

The message pops up when one tries to apply changes and synaptic thinks there are some problems with dependencies -- which is OK. However, this also occurs when one tried to install a package that has unresolved dependencies and, upon being confronted with the "Mark required changes?" dialog, canceled this. (1) This is confusing, because one assumes that cancelling the upgrade had already reset the marked changes. Even worse, when one has a hunch that there may be some problem and selects "Fix Broken Packages" from the "Actions" menu the message pops up as well.

The message itself also seems to be weird. Whether it occurs after "Apply" or after "Fix Broken Packages" -- repeating the action works, so, apparently, the problems _could_ be fixed.

Just for the record: I use version 0.48.2-4, but noticed this behavior in previous versions as well.

Best regards,

Andreas

(1) A current example: lg-subscription is listed as upgradable (101 -> 103). It depends on lg-issue102, which is not available. Upon choosing "Upgrade", I was informed that several other packages I selected for update (gksu, gnome-terminal, sound-juicer) would be kept. What is particularly weird is that no package depends on lg-subscription.