synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Presentation and proposition

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Presentation and proposition
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:09:28 +0200

Hello unknown stranger,

there is always a problem with hiding functions or objects from the user
that he or she might need. I think that trying to find a good way of
accessing the large data of packages is the better way; since even if
you hide all libraries you will still have a large number of packages. I
think that we made quite a good progress with the new gui which is part
of the 0.50 pre-releases.

Selecting "stable" or "fool proof" packages by a third parity would be
an huge effort. A novice user should use a stable release of his or her
operating system which normally guarantees a smooth installation and
upgrade of all packages.

The debtags system already provides an infrastructure for a deeply
categorized presentation of packages. But the debtags are an add-on and
no mandatory part of a debian package.

You can find the documentation in the help menu. But if you have further
questions feel free to contact the list.

Regards,

Sebastian