synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] [bugs #8027] Incorrect accents in popup windows, string

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bugs #8027] Incorrect accents in popup windows, string overrun
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 06:57:39 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: Synaptic.

[bugs #8027] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Michael Vogt <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Tue 06/01/04 at 10:56 (GMT)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
         Assigned to | None                      | mvogt
              Status | Open                      | Closed

Thanks for this bugreport and your patch. I believe this bug is fixed in the
later synaptic version (thanks to your help). I'll close it therefore.

[bugs #8027] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Synaptic
Submitted by: Egmont Koblinger
On: Fri 03/05/04 at 21:55

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  Fixed
Assigned to:  mvogt

Original Submission:  Please see the two screenshots. The first was taken with
official synaptic 0.47 compiled against apt 0.5.21 (no rpm
support, only deb), the second is with the patch I attach.

These popup windows appear when I start synaptic but the
source mentioned in sources.list is not available.

The first screen has two major bugs that are fixed in the
second one. First, accents are displayed incorrectly.
The error message (No such file or directory in Hungarian)
is formatted in iso-8859-2 by glibc. The resulted screen
proves that is undergoes a locale->utf8 conversion twice
instead of only once. The second bug is that the beginning
and the end of the text is overwritten by some random
garbage.

Actually, it happens sometimes that I get a nearly empty
warning window and a pango warning to stderr about non-valid
utf8 text. So sometimes this random stuff is not even utf8.

Based on these facts my conclusion is: most likely somewhere
in the code (I haven't found it) utf8() is called on the
output of a previous utf8() call. This way the second time
it is called it free()s its current input (the result of
the previous call) before reading it.

I have LANG=hu_HU and no other LC_* variables.

Ps. The patch is only a quick workaround that just happens
to work in this particular case. I believe that this whole
design of static variables and non-reentrant functions is
bad, and will introduce other bugs in the future (or maybe
causes more bugs even now).

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Tue 06/01/04 at 10:56         By: mvogt
Thanks for this bugreport and your patch. I believe this bug is fixed in the
later synaptic version (thanks to your help). I'll close it therefore.

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Fri 03/05/04 at 22:00  Name: utf8-free.patch  Size: 971KB   By: egmont
sorry, there's a typo in the other patch, use this one!
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=8027&amp;item_file_id=1095

Date: Fri 03/05/04 at 21:57  Name: synaptic2.png  Size: 22KB   By: egmont
2nd snapshot: synaptic 0.47 with patch: okay
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=8027&amp;item_file_id=1094

Date: Fri 03/05/04 at 21:56  Name: synaptic1.png  Size: 24KB   By: egmont
1st screenshot: synaptic 0.47 without patch: buggy
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=8027&amp;item_file_id=1093

Date: Fri 03/05/04 at 21:55  Name: utf8-free.patch  Size: 966KB   By: egmont
quick patch
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=8027&amp;item_file_id=1092