synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build problems....

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build problems....
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:01:22 +0100

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:35:32PM +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op vrijdag 27 februari 2004 18:55, schreef Michael Vogt:
> > > 2) I build synaptic as regular user and I see the following message:
> > >
> > > scrollkeeper-update -p /usr/var/scrollkeeper
> > > -o /tmp/making_of_synaptic-0.47/opt/gnome/share/omf/synaptic
> > > Could not create directory /usr/var : Permission denied
> > > Cannot write to log file: /var/log/scrollkeeper.log : Permission denied
> > > Could not create database.  Aborting update.
> > > Cannot write to log file: /var/log/scrollkeeper.log : Permission denied
> > > make[4]: [install-data-hook-omf] Error 1 (ignored)
> > >
> > > Should I be worried about it, if not can it be disabled in the makefile?
> > > I have the /opt/gnome/share/omf/synaptic output file, so it does not seem
> > > a problem to me.
> >
> > I haven't noticed this problem so far. I build as a regular use too
> > under debian. I just rebuild the current 0.48 branch to test it on my
> > system and the build seems to be fine. My scrollkeeper version is
> > 0.3.14 (from debian/unstable).
>
> I use the same version... I'm getting the error with 0.48test2 as well.  So I
> assume you get those too??

No, I don't get these errors. I guess it's because debian uses the
DESTDIR variable to tell the build process where to put the files. It
looks like the relevant makefile part does honor this.

My install lines looks like this:
$(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/synaptic

I hope adding this does solve your problem.

thanks for testing 0.48test2!

Michael