synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Where to find API info on libapt et. al.?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Where to find API info on libapt et. al.?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:57:03 +0100

Hi David,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:04:08AM -0600, David D. Hagood wrote:
> I am looking at using APT in a commercial project, and will need to provide
> much of the same sort of functionality that Synaptic has through our own
> GUI. Can somebody point me to where I can find documentation on the APT
> libraries?

This is a bit tricky. AFAIK there is no documentation. Reading the
headers in /usr/include/apt-pkg and the source of apt-get.cc and the
common/ directory of synaptic is all there is to learn about apt
(Gustavo, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

> The current intent will be to write a GPL or LGPL TCL plugin to the APT and
> RPM libraries, to provide a basic set of verbs for manipulating the system,
> then to use those verbs to implement the UI.
>
> I am aware of the Python bindings, however we aren't using Python for
> various reasons.

Well, I personally dislike tcl for various reasons ;) But you can of
course develop such bindings. Gustavo Niemeyer (he is also subscribed
to this list) is the maintainer of apt-rpm, he may have additional
suggestions.

bye,
 Michael