synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Using synaptic

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Using synaptic
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:51:05 +0200

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 06:38:50PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

> I recently upgraded from RH7.3 to RH9, and in the process
> pulled the latest Synaptic (0.4) from freshrpms.  Unfortunately,
> either I don't understand how it works, or the new Synaptic
> cannot be used.  Why? Well, it has found about 20 packages
> that are "broken" and it wants to remove them.

Does that mean that the older version of synaptic does not have this
problem? Only 0.40? Or did you only tried this one?

> I want to keep most of the packages -- for example,
> it wants to remove fetchmail, galeon, gcc, gmc, and perl
> among others.  The problem is I cannot figure out any way
> to make Synaptic keep the packages. If I display the Programmed
> Changes, then click on a package and click on Keep, it
> insists on removing the package.
>
> Some of the dependencies that it is finding for these "broken"
> packages are rather suspect too. For example, for gcc, it lists:
> Depends: glibc-devel(>=2.2.90-12)

Is it possible that actually the update to rh9 made the situation
problematic? Can you please call "apt-get -u upgrade" and see if apt
wants to remove packages as well? Usually the problem is actually a
problem of rpms installed with "rpm --no-deps" (or whatever the option
is, I use debian :)

What you can also try is to call "apt-cache show gcc" and see if apt
lists this suspicous dependencies too.

bye,
 Michael