synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] [Bug #3270] UI/usability suggestions

From: nobody
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [Bug #3270] UI/usability suggestions
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:29:18 -0400

=================== BUG #3270: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=3270&group_id=2422

Submitted by: elanthis                Project: Synaptic
Submitted on: Fri 04/18/2003 at 19:29
Category:  None                       Severity:  5 - Major
Bug Group:  None                      Resolution:  None
Assigned to:  None                    Status:  Open

Original Submission:  A few UI improvements could be used.  I strongly suggest
looking at the GNOME HIG (it is just as applicable to GTK2 only apps), and the
folks at address@hidden are immensely helpful for pulling together a good UI.

Some of the problems I found that confused me:
  - Quitting, the dialog asks if you want to quit and has button [No] [Yes].
The dialog shouldn't have any actions in its body, and the buttons should be
[Cancel] [Quit].  You are forced to read the entire dialog to understand what
the buttons do (while my suggestion makes it immediately clear), as No/Yes are
wholly ambiguous on their own in this context.
  - Status bar tells me to look at the console I launched Synaptic from for
more info.  Given that I'm using a GUI app vs. apt-get itself, and I'm
launching it from a GUI (GNOME), this message is silly.  If people wanted the
console for messages, they wouldn't use a GUI application.  ;-)
  - The preferences dialog has [OK] [Apply] [Close].  That is completely
meaningless to me.  [Apply] is clear in that the settings take effect, but not
if it also closes the dialog.  What does OK mean?  Does Close save the changes
or not?  I'd suggest going with the HIG and making all changes be instant
apply, and simply have [Revert] [Close] or [Revert] [Accept].  A help button
that explains the behaviour of the option would be nice too, altho I definitely
know how hard it can be to pull together good docs.  ;-)
  - Packge menu seems wasteful, and is confusing.  You already have buttons for
its actions.  Additionally, the menu stays active, along with its items, even
when no packages are selected, or a category (and not jsut a package) is
selected.  If not removed entirely, it should at least become
inactive/greyed-out when a package isn't selected.
  - The search menu also seems wasteful.  You already have a search bar that's
always on the front interface.  If a search menu is needed, perhaps it should
be moved down into another menu where it won't contribute to UI clutter and
noise.
  - A lot of dialogs seem to have extraneous frames/inset-borders in them.  I
don't know why these are there, but they contribute to visual noise/clutter,
and look silly to boot.
  - The Filters menu and the big Filters button seem to be redundant - you
don't need both.
  - The bottom frames for package info seem silly/extraneous when you have no
package selected.  Perhaps they shoul dbe inactive, or a generic (clean/nice)
logo/help/something should be shone there instead when no package is selected.
  - With the above, the behaviour for multiply selected packages doesn't sit
well - the last clicked package is the shown info.  It doesn't mesh well with
the fact that multiple packages are selected in the view.
  - The Update List, Upgrade All, and Dist Upgrade buttons, while very useful
to an apt-knowledgable person, aren't that great for n00b's.  Better naming
could be used here - I don't have a suggestion for how it could be clearer tho.
 The address@hidden folks might have some good insight on this, perhaps - they
are very helpful.
  - The little arrows to represent Status aren't very clear.  Better/different
icons should be used that more clearly represents the differing states.

Also, on a more frivolous note... the RH8/9 up2date installer has this nifty
interface for installing package groups and individual components.  I don't
know what they use to build this (a separate database or tags/info in the
packages), but it's cool.  I also know that Debian and dpkg have their tasks,
which are now flags in the control file iirc.  Having synaptic support these
with an interface similar to up2date would be *excellent* for n00b's.  Heck,
I'd enjoy it - it makes things simpler/quicker/easier.  ^,^

No Followups Have Been Posted

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link: