[Swarm-Modelling] Fw: Workshop on Epistemological and Methodological Iss

From: Flamscattone
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Fw: Workshop on Epistemological and Methodological Issues on Simulation
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:40:41 +0100

Dear All,

I wrote to share with you some news about a workshop on simulation I'm organizing in Italy next year( 5th-6th October 2006, Brescia University, Italy). I hope you can consider the chance of participating.

The workshop's acronym is EPOS, Epistemological Perspectives on Simulation. It is the second edition. The first edition was organized by Klaus Troitzsch in Koblenz, 2004 (http://www.uni-koblenz.de/EPOS/). You can find the proceedings in the last issue of JASSS: http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/8/4/7.html

This is the EPOS 2006 web site: http://www.eco.unibs.it/epos/.

EPOS is a cross-disciplinary workshop where people from different disciplines and background can meet to intensively discuss epistemological and methodological issues on simulation. In particular, the focus is on methodological preconditions and consequences of computer simulation as a research tool.

This following is a not restricted list of EPOS topics:

Link between theory and simulation models;

Empirical reality and data in simulation models;

Internal and external validation strategies and methods in computational models;

Examples of models able to integrate computational modelling and other research methods (such as, for example, experimental, statistical, qualitative methods);

Epistemological issues on theory building and computer simulation;

Common points and differences between physical and social complex systems modelling;

Epistemological consequences of generative method and explanation

The EPOS format is as follows: two days, just one plenary, no parallel session, two invited speakers (the first one launches, the second one closes), 40 minutes for each presentation (20 minutes for the speaker /20 minutes for discussion).

Important deadlines are as follows:

31 May 2006 extended abstract submission deadline

30 June 2006 acceptance or rejection notification

31 August 2006 full papers receipt, if authors wish to have their papers included in the workshop proceedings that will be available, in a printed format, to participants and in on-line version on web (otherwise, just abstracts will be included)

As soon as possible, I'll be able to add some news. I'm trying to find financial support for covering travel, accomodation, fees, and so on, to 2 Ph.D students who can participate also without presenting a paper. I hope to have good candidates!

Anyway, please do not hesitate to contact me at this address: address@hidden

Thanks

Best

Flaminio Squazzoni