[Swarm-Modelling] Can you help me with a probablility question about mix

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Can you help me with a probablility question about mixtures of distributions?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:30:27 -0500

Suppose there are 50 collections of agents. Think of these collections as districts in a political system. For each collection, we have 1000 agents. I want each agent to have a meaningul parameter in the left-right political scale, and I'm thinking of using a Beta distribution because it is bounded and displays a wide variety of shapes. I vary the parameters so that not all districts are exactly the same in political composition. As a first take, I have the assumption that the distribution within each cluster has a "cluster-specific" parameter, a_k, representing the first beta parameter. So the observations are B(a_k,b) for districts k=1...50.

Question: is there a distribution from which to draw a_k so that the combined set of all agents has a known distribution?

I've stumbled around a while and I find plenty of literature on Bayesian statistics and the Beta as a prior to the Binomail distribution, but I can't find anything about the more mundane simulation question "if I generate cases like so, what do I have?"

What is the proper  literature to read?

pj

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086