Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters

From: James Marshall
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:44:30 +0000

Hi,
  don't forget the easiest form of parallelism... job farming, is easily
achievable with Swarm. I had this set up on my last project (using Sun
Grid Engine on a cluster) and it's very handy if you have to do lots of
sensitivity or robustness analysis. There used to be something called
Drone to do a similar thing but I'm not sure it's maintained?
  Also I don't think Russel Standish has contributed to the discussion
yet but he has lots of experience in this area... check out the High Performance
Computing Support Unit at the University of New South Wales.
  Regards,
    James

Sunwoo Park wrote:

Dear Marcus,
I really appreciate for your comments.

As my understanding, you claimed that message passing is not good for SWARM
mainly because communication overhead between agents might be nontrivial.
Right ? But, for example, (1) if models perform considerable amount of computation in a single
simulation phase (or cycle) with minimum communication between agents
(2) if the size and/or scalability of simulation models is much important
than performance (or execution time)
do you still think multi-threading approach is better than message passing
because of the nature of SWARM even in above cases ?

Also, could you give me some information (or link) on SWARM models/projects
that are already done or planned for 'large-scale' simulation  ?
For example, is there any SWARM project that uses more than 256 (or 512)
nodes in MPP machines ?

Sincerely,
Sunwoo