Re: [Swarm-Modelling] WikiWiki

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] WikiWiki
Date: 27 Nov 2003 04:01:38 -0800

PJ> Very neat.  I can't find any information there on how to register.
PJ> Can you point me in the right direction?

Simply click "Log in" and choose a user name and click the new user
button.  Did you try clicking that?  It's always the first thing I
try, even if I'm not a registered user.

PJ> Even without registering, it allowed me to start marking up in the
PJ> FAQ section.

We need to make a distinction between the SwarmWiki:FAQ (which is
about the operation of the Wiki itself, how to use it, how to Log in
etc.) and the Swarm FAQ, which should be in the article namespace
(i.e. without the SwarmWiki: prefix and with a white not yellow
background).

I think it would be a good thing to migrate the FAQ here, I was also
going to migrate the Software info on development releases, and
ultimately most of the current website so we can all maintain it more
easily.

PJ> I wonder if we ought not restrict editing power to
PJ> registered users.  What do you think?

For moment I suggest we *encourage* all users to register, but don't
prevent anon IP's from editing, since it encourages people to get
involved and once they are involved they'll realize the benefits of
registering (you can track all your changes in a "watchlist", create a
user page etc)

I suggest everybody spend a bit of time checking out the link to
Wikipedia:Help to get an idea of what it can do, it even accepts LaTeX
math).

A full history is always stored so we can always rollback
and SysAdmins can block IP addresses that do any vandalism.  I've been
using wikipedia.org (which the software was developed for) and it
works pretty well.

Alex