Terminology of simulations vs. "real experiments"

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Terminology of simulations vs. "real experiments"
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:54:58 -0600

I just got some review comments of a type I wonder if anyone else has
had to cope with.

The reviewer (and editor) objects to the use of terminology like
"replicate", "experiment", "manipulation", and "data set" in reference
to our agent-based modeling work. The reviewer said these terms are
normally associated with 'real experiments', not simulations.

I am tempted to make a case that these terms are, in fact, widely used
in modeling (not necessarily even agent-based modeling). If anyone knows
some really prominent examples, I would appreciate them.

I would concede that instead of "data set" we could talk about
"simulation results" or "model output".

Steve

--
address@hidden