Re: Floating Point Number Problem (Re: Swarm Futures re-cap

From: Andy Cleary
Subject: Re: Floating Point Number Problem (Re: Swarm Futures re-cap
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:48:01 -0700

At 06:11 PM 10/16/2002 +0100:
Whilst I agree with Andy Cleary's point that worrying about floating point arithmetic should be the domain of only a privileged few,

"privileged" is hardly the word I'd use here... "damned", "tortured", "unfortunate", etc., come to mind before "privileged".

;-)

it's clear that there is a best practice issue here. Just as with such things as random number generation and scheduling, it is a best practice issue that most Swarm modellers will not want to trouble themselves with, which is what makes me wonder if Swarm should have a library dealing with floating point arithmetic properly somehow.

Really, this is what the IEEE standard is supposed to provide. That it doesn't in practice is largely a function of the fact that this is just a *hard* subject, and may not really even be "solvable"... I wouldn't expect the oversubscribed Swarm development community to be able to solve this if IEEE didn't.

Andy