Re: Compare Swarm with Repast

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: Compare Swarm with Repast
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:24:00 +0100

>Gulyas Laszlo writes:
> > > Problems with Java.
> > >
> > > 1) Its slow
> >
> > OK. Compared to, exactly what? It's much slower than
> > C, of course, but I am not sure about Objective-C (with
> > TCL/TK, JavaSwarm, etc.). Especially not on a Windows
> > computer that acutally has to emulate Unix to start it up.
>
>Actually, I doubt that it's much slower than Objective-C, if at all.

Just to chime in here, we did a test of the RePast Heatbugs, the JavaSwarm
Heatbugs and the (Obj-C) Swarm Heatbugs (on a Sun Blade 1000), and found the
Obj-C Swarm heatbugs fastest, the JavaSwarm heatbugs slightly slower, and the
RePast heatbugs almost an order of magnitude slower. (For example, in one
minute, RePast runs 296 cycles of heatbugs, JavaSwarm 1760 cycles, and Swarm
2017.)

Speed is an issue for us, but we wanted to move to Java because it's a more
standard language (though personally I prefer Obj-C by a long way). I'd have
accepted a small performance hit from using Java, but figured if heatbugs was
so slow in RePast in comparison with (Java)Swarm then there wasn't much hope
for our model.

Of course, it may be that there was some systematic bias in the way the test
was done, and if anyone can tell me how I should do it fairly (other than just
running each app when there are no other users on the system and taking
timings) I'd be happy to post the results.

Gary

Gary Polhill
Research Scientist
The Macaulay Institute