RE: Criticisms and defense of ABM

From: Konstantinos Alexandridis
Subject: RE: Criticisms and defense of ABM
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:55:54 -0500

Paul,

        The theme of your proposed agent-based model, seams very
suitable for exploration using adaptive behavior agent attributes. The
literature is rich on models examining complex interactions between
individuals or groups of individuals on determining successful
strategies. Robert Axelrod published an excellent book - review of these
methodologies, in relation to Prisoner's Dilemma, adaptive behavioral
models as well as to the use of the genetic algorithm on determinining
successful strategies.
        Although in a primary, perhaps narrow view of agent-based
modeling, it might seam somewhat predictive; in reality though,
agent-based models project in the future the 'source' of the agent's
behavior. And that future projection is a more real-world process, since
it can overcome the usual barriers of error propagation and
statistical/econometric assumptions about the 'mean' behavior of the
sample data population.
        In contrast, the simulated results are able to reveal a variety
of complex features, interactions and systemic behavior of the
individual agents, not likely to appear in an averaged sample
population. It can, for example, reveal significant information about
the boundaries of the system's behavior, or about the limits that the
agent's can reach in their individual performances.
        My work with agent-based models is coping with land-use and
land-transformation processes that occur in a spatial/landscape setting,
including the human-behavioral component of the populations and
individuals occupying these spatial settings. Socio-economic behavior
and individual choices, are highly correlated with land use and land
cover changes through time and space. As in your case, decision-making
about the optimal choices cannot be assumed to be a matter of
rational-behavior in a traditional economic setting, but, rather, a
process where an agent (an individual) has to reach a decision from a
pool of available choices that they are subject to limited information
(and diverse access to it), hierarchical processes, and thus, they are
suboptimal, yet they can be viewed as optimal in the time-scale of the
individual. In other words, an individual on a given moment, and with
given (limited) information available, and with different access to
available choices, (and often subject to a series of other limitations
such as economic, social, behavioral, perceptional, age, or racial) has
to reach a decision. Although one could accept the rational-choice
assumption, must do so by recognizing the given limitations. There is no
economic instantiation of such a system, able to represent and
regenerate a whole population (and its data) in an individual level.
Agent-based models are able to perform this regeneration and to produce
likely-to-occur projections of reality.
        There are methods to test the validity of the simulated results,
especially, if the design and execution of the simulation can be
performed using available historical initial data (which can be used for
comparing the simulated with the historical data on sequential
time-steps). In addition, tests like updated versions of the Turing
test, or spectral analyses can be employed to assure the validity of the
simulated results.

Thank you,
With respect,

Kostas Alexandridis