Call for Papers: AGENT-BASED MODELING in the SOCIAL SCIENCES

From: Nick Gessler
Subject: Call for Papers: AGENT-BASED MODELING in the SOCIAL SCIENCES
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:46:51 -0700

UCLA Conference Center - Directions - Map

CALL FOR PAPERS plain text version

THE FIRST LAKE ARROWHEAD CONFERENCE on COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE
AGENT-BASED MODELING in the SOCIAL SCIENCES
Thursday, May 9th to Sunday, May 12th, 2002.

The UCLA Conference Center is located at Lake Arrowhead, a Southern California facility situated at the 5000 elevation in the Beautiful San Bernardino mountains.
It is about a two-hour drive from the Los Angeles International Airport. Map

For up-to-the-moment information please: Surf to: http://ccss.ucla.edu/lake-arrowhead-2002/ Email: address@hidden

An opportunity to advance agent modeling in the social sciences.

We invite social scientists who employ computational ideas and methods in their research and teaching to join us for the first annual Lake Arrowhead Conference on agent modeling.

The conference will serve as a forum for sharing the most recent theoretical applications and methodological advances on agent modeling throughout the social sciences (e.g., Anthropology, Communication Studies, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Sociology, Urban Planning) and among social scientists in professional schools (e.g., Business, Education, International Relations, Public Health, Public Policy, Social Welfare) and in the public and private sectors.

We are planning for a mix of plenary sessions as well as concurrent sessions on computational modeling issues, discipline-based research, and special topics to be proposed. We invite individual paper submissions and proposals for sessions (90 minutes each).

WE INVITE THE FOLLOWING PAPER & SESSION TOPICS

Agent Modeling Methodologies
Modeling Approaches - Evolutionary Computation, Cellular Automata, Genetic Algorithms, Neural Nets, Simulated Annealing Model Design Issues - Population Complexity, Agent Complexity, Spatial Complexity)
Robustness and Validity Issues
Intersections with Mathematics, Human Experiments, Social Epistemology
Artificial Societies and Artificial Cultures
Physical and Virtual Robot Societies and Cultures
Complexity/Chaos Theory
Emergent Social Structure
Social Network Dynamics
Spatial Analysis
Game Theory
Knowledge, Distributed Intelligence and Distributed Cognition
Governance, Centralization, Decentralization
Agent-Related Systems Dynamics
Public and Private Sector Applications
Topics of Your Choice
We encourage papers at the cutting-edge of multi-agent modeling that are relevant to the social science community.

Signed, the Co-Directors of the UCLA Center for Computational Social Science:

Phil Bonacich
Nicholas Gessler
Susanne Lohmann
Bill McKelvey
Dwight Read

SCHEDULE

Abstracts must be received no later than October 15, 2001.
Participants will be notified of acceptance no later than November 1, 2001.
Payments must be received within one month of proposal acceptance and no later than December 1, 2001.
PLEASE REGISTER EARLY TO RESERVE YOUR SPACE

PAPER PROPOSALS:
If you are interested in presenting a paper, please email us at address@hidden with:

your full contact information including:
name
affiliation
email address
web site URL
postal mail address
home and work phone.
a 300-word abstract

SESSION PROPOSALS:
If you wish to propose a session (90-120 minutes containing 3-4 individual papers), please email us at address@hidden with:

full contact information for each participant including:
name
affiliation
email address
web site URL
postal mail address
home and work phone.
a 300-word abstract for each participant
an additional 300-word session proposal

Once your proposal is accepted you will be invited to submit your registration fee. Your name, affiliation, email address, Web site URL, paper title, and abstract will be made public and posted on our conference web site.

FEES AND PAYMENT

Checks should be payable to "UC Regents" and sent to:
Center for Computational Social Science
4289 Bunche Hall
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1472

Credit Card Payments:
Arrangements are being made.

REGISTRATION fees include admittance to all conference activities (except meals and accommodations).

free for the media
$50 for students
$150 for academic and public sector employees
$250 for private sector employees

UCLA CONFERENCE CENTER ACCOMMODATIONS & MEALS fees include luxury suites and all meals.

$150 for one day/night
$300 for two days/nights
$450 for three days/nights (the entire conference)
only 100 suites are available

OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS & MEALS may be reserved and paid individually by conference participants in the nearby Lake Arrowhead Village and other communities. We offer the following links to assist you in this endeavor.

ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE

Participants should arrive for dinner at 6:00pm Thursday evening, May 9th.
The conference will end Saturday evening. Participants should leave after breakfast (8-9am) on Sunday. We expect relatively light traffic for the Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning drives to and from Los Angeles.

CONTACT INFORMATION

address@hidden