Re: What is emergence?

From: Kenneth Holmlund
Subject: Re: What is emergence?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:29:33 +0100

Hi,
I've been following this thread with great interest (though
I must admit I haven't read all postings in detail).
I feel there is a great need for a formal lanaguage
that can embrace the classes of models that are
of interest. Of course one has to start with a heuristic
discussion like the present one, but for it to become
useful we need formal tools so that we can analyze and
explain within a context and most importantly, predict
(whatever that means here).

What about the difference between emergence in
real system in nature, and emergence in models and
simulations? I think it is important not to mix up these
two concepts, at least not until we understand when/why
they coincide or differ.

Cheers,
 Kenneth Holmlund
 address@hidden