Advice to a Swarm Beginner...

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Advice to a Swarm Beginner...
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:14:51 -0800

A Swarm newbie recently wrote me asking for advice on getting started. I figured that this may be of general interest and perhaps could encourage others to share their collective wisdom on embarking on Swarm modelling. I appreciate any feedback or insights--especially as I hope to develop a Swarm course in the not too distant future (assuming dissertation, Ph.D, and gainful employment.)

        Darren

Welcome to the world of agent-based modeling! And, thanks for the complements. I will be glad to share what I have learned since I know how much I benefited from the work and aid of others.

There are two categories of advice I would start with:

1) Modeling

2) Programming

Modeling

Some of the modeling issues are generic to social science. But, in many ways they become more important agent-based models. This is a new method and if you want it to sell, you have to do a much better job than I think would be required if you were running regressions or just extending some well known results in game theory. The other reason these considerations are important is that agent-based modeling can be so powerful that the modeler can be lure into visions of granduer that fail the principles of parsimony. Most important principle of modeling --> Keep It Simple Stupid. The famous KISS principle means that you should kiss any complications good bye until you have really beaten your initial basic model to death. I think it is great to have a vision of what you want to prove with your model on the 10 year time horizon. Honestly, I actually have a Grand Unified Theory of Politics that underlies and unifies my work in political cognition and mass party formation. But, if I am going to get to that point it will be with very discrete and unambitious little steps. A great idea is to take well-developed principles from your field of interest and try to prove the obvious and well established results. I think my work has accomplished this goal. Now, it isn't ground breaking so far because I have only told audiences what they already knew. But, I have gotten there a different way and agent-based modeling allows me a lot of flexibility to go beyond my first destination point. The other thing that "classical" approach will do is to reduce the fear and anxiety of your audience. You are bringing a new method that they know may be a new hurdle or threat to their scholarship (all new paradigms suffer this). And, computational models have a very "black box" feel to them. Be transparent about borrowing existing theory, be transparent about simple and intuitive models. I believe that once you can do a good job with the classics, you will build your own skills and confidence enough to get more and more ambitious.

Programming
The KISS principle is a boon to a programmer as well. On my second modelling project, I wrote a very detailed project development plan with a timeline and small increments between steps that would allow me to check my progress and have lots of attainable goals. This meant that within a few days of my first go, I had something that worked. It was trivial and uninteresting and only printed a little text and had absolutely no substantive interest. But, it had the virtue of running and being easy to debug when it wasn't. I got that first bit of code up and all the other incremental improvements by borrowing liberally from more experienced programmers. I tried to reduce the amount of original code so that I could minimize my work and maximize productivity. I downloaded every single piece of SWARM code I could find, read them, and cannibalized them. I also made liberal use of the SWARM support listserve.

Anyway, I think those are my two most useful pieces of advice I would give to a beginner. I am going to post this advice on the Swarm modeling listserve and I am sure that others will chime in with their insights. Feel free to email again.

        Darren

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student