Another try at teaching simulations

From: Rayman Mohamed
Subject: Another try at teaching simulations
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:19:36 -0400

Hi all,

I received some good responses to my last question on this list, so I am going to try my luck again on this one. I am also sure that related forms of this question have been aired here before. (In fact I checked my swarm-modeling mailbox that's a few months old and found related issues but not quite the same thing.)

Here is the context -- please bear with me, I think that it is important. As part of my TA responsibilities this semester, I am working with a professor updating a course for next semester called something like "Techniques for Policy Analysis." The course is offered by the Dept of City and Regional Planning but 90% of the students are from Public Affairs. The course had been taught for many years and is incredibly fast-paced. One of the principal techniques taught is simulation modeling, which for City and Regional Planners goes back to the mid 1960s. The book uses an outdated, out-of-print manuscript by a guy by the name of Forrester from MIT prepared circa 1969. He, apparently, thought of urban systems as stocks and flows. (This is unlike more formal urban simulations based on economic theories.) The professor uses this same "thinking" to deal with public policy scenarios, and if I may say so, I would argue that he was ahead of his time when he started doing this sometime in the 1970s (I guess). History also indicates that the professor was quick to adopt spreadsheets as a simulation tool (see comment on this later on.) Typical examples of case studies in class might be: modeling arrivals at a refuge camp, emergency room situations, teacher supply in a developing country, etc. The examples have no spatial context.

About the students -- most are extremely hard working but lack math skills. Their undergraduate training is typically in political science, anthropology, international studies, agriculture, etc., or something of that nature. Most do not understand concepts of probability.

However, it is time to "update" the course again and here are the principal problems that the professor and I have with the simulation component of the course. First, there is no good textbook we know of to recommend to students. Second, no stochastic concepts are built into the simulations (if you can call it that without any stochasticity). Third, agents are homogenous -- there is no individual behavior. Fourth, there is no emergent behavior -- everything is forced into the simulation. (If anybody can think of more problems do not hesitate to say so, but perhaps in a separate email.)

Of the problems listed above, we believe that the first three are the most important and if we were to narrow it down further we would say that the biggest problem is the textbook. So, after all that I guess I am asking if anybody can recommend a good text for the situation I described above. An ideal text from our perspective would contain an introduction to probability, the concept of different agents doing their own thing, and dealing with all this using Excel as the tool of choice. I guess that the title of my ideal text would be: "Simulating Modeling in Excel: Public Policy Applications."

I can imagine some frowns as you read this email -- Excel??? I guess that I need to justify this a little further. First, neither the professor nor I would feel comfortable teaching these students to write computer code. Besides being complete novices ourselves, we do not have the time as this part of the course in taught in a month. Second though, and more importantly I would argue, I do believe that Excel can meet the needs of what we are trying to do as long as one figures out how to handle probability in it, and one is willing to keep the situation being modeled simple -- may have to sacrifice some of the "individualness." At the same time, we are open to suggestions about other software packages you thing might meet our needs -- given the comments in this paragraph Swarm and the like are out of the question. On the other hand, the professor is set against the use of "black box" software. In fact, that is one reason why he likes Excel -- it forces students to think as their simulations have to expressed through "coding" in Excel, however rudimentary it might be.

Ok, I hope that I have made the situation clear enough. And, I hope that a good text exists out there that one of you knows of. (If not, I do believe strongly that the market exists for such a text.) Thanks for you insights,

Rayman