Regressions and Rules of behavior

From: Rayman Mohamed
Subject: Regressions and Rules of behavior
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:14:16 -0400

Hi all:

When doing ABMs, is there a string no-no about regressions. My concern is this: is it kosher to have a rule based on a regression -- can an agent say, for example, decide whether to go live somewhere based on a regression where some index is the dependent variable and there are a number of independent variable? Then, if the dependent variable is within a certain range, the agent does one thing but if it is in another range, the agent does another?

The reason I am asking is because none of the ABMs that I have seen take seem to use regressions at all. Is this because it ascribes too much intelligence to the agent, when one of the advantages of ABMs is that agents are not supposed to be smart. Likewise, is it because it assumes that the agent has access to more information that ABMs generally allow?

Thanks for your insights,

Rayman