Re: fractional time values in an integer Schedule (sort of)

From: cal
Subject: Re: fractional time values in an integer Schedule (sort of)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:34:32 -0700

hihi, all -

i would do something different from what alex suggested (which was to make an
integer time scale at a smaller unit)

the problem seems to me to be how to send out an integer number of packets
when the computed rate is not an integer (e.g., 2.43) -

first, i would take the integer part of the number (i.e., 2) and send out 2
packets in the usual way

then, i would take the fractional part of the number (0.43), and, with
probability 0.43, send out one more packet

in the long run, it makes the rates work exactly rather than approximately (so
if that doesn't matter very much, alex's method is much simpler)

finally, i would record the actual values for the number of packets sent, and
use it to backcompute F() for instrumentation purposes - if the resulting time
history or distribution of F() values is unreasonable, then there is a
sensitivity in the model that needs to be examined

more later,
cal