Re: traffic simulations

From: Lang, Railsback & Assoc.
Subject: Re: traffic simulations
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:25:45 -0700

Henk-Jan Lebbink wrote:

> Best Swarm community,
>
> Currently I am working on exercises for an introductory course on
> self-organizing systems (SOS) and simulations for artificial intelligence
> students. Does someone has experience with traffic simulations and has
> swarm (source) code that could be useful. I have no experience with
> traffic simulation, so even simple code would be of great help!

If you mean traffic as in cars and trucks, please be aware that there
are several very elaborate agent-based simulators in widespread use by
traffic engineers. This is, as far as I know, the most well-developed
field of agent-based modeling for real world applications. I have a
friend that uses some of these models for the state highway department,
and had him demo them for us. With the newer models, an engineer can lay
out a street system, put in traffic controls (signals, one-way streets,
etc.), and designate the characteristics of all the different vehicles
and their drivers.

You are right that it is a great way to introduce and demo
self-organizing systems but Swarm is not the place to look. People can
really grasp the concepts when because driving is something most people
are familiar with. Especially good is showing an animation of an
intersection that people are familiar with and looking at how patterns
change if you alter the timing of traffic lights, change the number of
lanes, etc.

You might call your local highway or city street planner and ask if they
are using a traffic model- probably somebody near you is. If you want I
can find out names and links for some of them.

Steve R.
--
address@hidden
Lang, Railsback & Assoc.